From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 21:21:58 -0400
Tom, with respect, why would I want to get off a treadmill that has given
us longer, more pleasant lives, with more food for less money than at any
time in modern history? My 35 hectares of table grapes were getting eaten
by worms one year, so I sprayed. We had a good, healthy harvest. It's been
that way for over a half century, with every decade bringing us safer, more
efficient control. Why would it stop now?

I think about the old strong, dangerous chemicals like DDT and Zyklon.
These had problems, but saved countless lives and millions of tons of food.
Now there are chemicals to kill disease vectoring lice and such even
better, and they are so soft that you can sprinkle them around your house.

Why would it be any different for bees? It's now 7 months (hope I'm not
harping) since I treated with Checkmite and Terrapatties and my 100 plus
hives are strong, very productive and not polluted by any standards that I
would (with great respect to others on the List) accept. 5 to 10 minutes
per hive, about 5 dollars, and no screens, sugar rolling, special sized
cells, no nothing, and it's been 7 months. So, yes, an irresponsible
beekeeper in my area can cause resistance within the next several years.
What do I have to lose by keeping my routine? Nothing, in my opinion.

People have been predicting a crash since Rachel Carlson's "Silent Spring"
yet just the opposite is happening.

Very best regards

Tim Vaughan