From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 07:22:11 -0400
>        The dance when all together is a swarm sign.  If it is
> split into two different directions the swarm is not united
> to one spot yet.  Three steps forward and three  steps
> backward and the total group together means swarming
> is all ready scouting for location.

When I read the original query I thought, "There's the annual question about
washboarding" and was going to zip off the usual "Check the archives at:
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l
use
Using "Washboarding" as a target will give 15 hits
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S2=bee-l&q=washboarding&s=&f=&a=&
b=

Then I read Michael Housel's reply:
>        The dance when all together is a swarm sign.  If it is
> split into two different directions the swarm is not united
> to one spot yet.  Three steps forward and three  steps
> backward and the total group together means swarming
> is all ready scouting for location.
And thought BS!!  How did that get approved!?  I've never seen anything
stating Washboarding was associated with swarming.  It made me wish I had
fired off the "Check the archives!" response sooner.  Then I began to wonder
if A) Michael was pulling our collective leg or B) perhaps he has noticed
something I (we?) do not.  I'm inclined towards my first thoughts, but will
not be so hasty.  I have never seen washboarding in hives with small
populations, nor have I noticed it at times of the season when bees aren't
also likely to swarm.  But I have never associated washboarding with
swarming and in fact have learned not to be concerned, just entertained when
I see washboarding.

Will anyone else back up the assertion that washboarding is indicative of
swarming?  As far as 3 steps forward, 3 step backwards, is that a dance
specific to Florida?  I think the New York style is three steps forward,
three backwards, and then a quick cha, cha, cha to the left!

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!