HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 06:22:29 -0700
Apologies if this double posts I sent this over eight hours ago and it
failed to appear:

A sort of synchronicity, I viewed Woody Allen's "Love and Death" released
in 1975, which I always wanted to see. There are some funny scenes somewhat
re-enacted from the time of the Emperor Napoleon and are quite interesting.
They required fairly large groups of re-enactors, filmed in Hungary, and I
was delighted by the picture. Although putting comedy and a battlefield a
difficult action, it has some very funny moments, almost a warning about
old weapons and the challenge of authenticity. The main plot involves Woody
Allen and Diane Keaton's role in the assassination of the Emperor
Napoleon's double, events in Russia before and events after the attempted
murder.

A legend in New Orleans, Louisiana, holds that a relative of Thomas
Jefferson's wife, of the LaFite family, with the President's knowledge,
arranged the seashore exchange of a double for Napoleon in exile and that
he is buried in the Lafitte cemetery after a heart attack off the Yucatan,
according to a Sunday supplement of the Times-Picayune a number of years
ago. In 1974 the Scottish Medical Association reviewed the official autopsy
and found some disagreement in the "P.I" report and the attending
physicians performing it. However I think it was agreed they had been
looking at Napoleon. I have read these years ago and as I recently read of
a a call for some DNA testing, thought to inform the list as perhaps there
is more to the story.

George Myers