HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Keeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 10:36:01 -0700
I don't know about German immigrants in the Mexican-American War, but there were many in the War Between the States.  They weren't really mercenaries (like the well-known Hessians in the American Revolution), but simply immigrants.  Many people immigrated to the US from Germany during and after the European revolution attempts in 1848.  Perhaps some folks came a bit earlier as troubled times were heating up in Germany--in time to be in the US for an invasion of Mexico in 1846-48.

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/09/02 09:34AM >>>
Found a similar coin pierced at Mission San Antonio de Padua (1771-1834) and
probably used as an ornament by the local Indian neophytes. Spanish milled
coins, especially the portrait series, were the best made and most attractive
of the times. Also their silver content was usually up to standard. No wonder
they were widely used as ornaments.

I have a question. Were large numbers of Germans utilized as soldiers in the
Mexican-American War?  I know about the German-Americans in the U>S> Army and
the Irish on both sides, but I was unaware that Germany was still exporting
mercenaries in large numbers in the mid-19th century.