From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:50:42 -0400
A recent article in the Guardian gives some interesting insights into
the career of Sir Colin Davis, director of the London Symphony and
enjoying the present stage of his career, with a 75th birthday party
taking place this week.  Certainly his recent Grammy for "Les Troyens"
shows that he has much yet to say, even given his past accolades in
conducting Berlioz.

One item of personal interest--like Sir Colin, my own discovery of Mozart
came with taking up the clarinet in my youth, where any serious student
of the instrument can't help but encounter such glories as the A Major
Concerto, the Quintets, the Harmoniemusik, and even the wonderful part
writing in the later symphonies and operas.

I remember in particular a concert I attended at Symphony Hall in Boston
some years ago, where his conducting of the BSO in a Mozart symphony was
a paragon of simple grace and musicianly affection.  And his Sibelius
wasn't too shabby either (nor his Haydn)!

The Guardian article can be accessed online via this link:

   http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,795942,00.html

Anybody have any recommendations of favorite Sir Colin recordings, so
we can all celebrate with the folks in London?

Bill H.