HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Keeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:08:25 -0700
To some extent the difference lies in methodology.  Anthropology is characterized by participant observation.  Sociology is not, though the boundaries have certainly blurred in the past couple of decades.  In the study of a neighborhood or a corporation, an anthropologist would likely spend time living and working among the people involved, whereas a sociologist would rely more on gathering larger samples of more abstract data from questionnaires and information from census or human resources files.  The image of the ethnographer I always come back to is in the classic film on the Yanomamo with Napoleon Chagnon as a young (and much less beleagured) field researcher.  He's lying in his hammock, dressed as a decent Yanomano man, eating a banana, and conversing in an animated fashion with several other Yanomamo men.  In other words, he's simply hanging out as one of the guys in the community.  That's participant observation, and it's the central distinguishing method of anthropology regardless of whether the subject is a small village of horticulturalists in the Amazonian forest, a neighborhood in an American city, or a multinational, high tech corporation.

Bob Keeler

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/29/02 05:55PM >>>
So what is the difference between anthropology and sociology? Is
anthropology the study of other cultures and sociology the study of your own
culture?
John