HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Steen
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 07:47:39 -0400
As an AMERICAN and SOUTH CAROLINIAN archaeologist I just want to say it wasn't me who supplied this lady. However, I do have numerous boxes of "chards"
some of which are "blue and white."  They are not for sale, though, so Mary, please don't call.... (unless the price is really, really right -- I have done CRM archaeology
so I can't really point fingers at people who "prostituted [the archaeological record] for financial gain ).

Anyway, we do in fact see Chinese "blue and white" porcelain in 1770s contexts, and at military sites. Blue and white "pearlware" or "creamware" was also imported
and for a short while between 1765 and 1770 made locally by transplanted English potter John Bartlam.

The mention of Stono Ferry (just south of Charleston) brings to mind an interesting archaeological example. Several years ago the property was up for development and
received a survey. The archaeologists found a Rev War earthwork, and recommended that it be preserved (as it was eligible to the NRHP). Later they returned and
found that a fairway for the golf course had been built anyway. The developer said, "Don't worry though, it's right over here..." They had bulldozed it, moved it off the
fairway and rebuilt it. The archaeologist, with SHPO concurrence, determined that the earthwork in its new location was still eligible to the NRHP... To my knowledge,
the developer was not penalized in any way.  Does this strike anyone else as being more bizarre than someone selling what is probably  transfer printed whiteware  and
claiming greater antiquity and historical association?

Carl Steen

Carl Steen
Archaeologist
The Diachronic Research Foundation