HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:39:24 -0500
Reminds me of Abraham Lincoln, frontier lawyer. He was involved in over 500
cases before the State Supreme Court in Illinois, I read somewhere. One of
the cases had the steamboats versus the bridges. The steamboats said they
couldn't pass under the bridges and the bridge builders couldn't make
everyone a movable structure. The bridges went up and the steamboats put
hinges on their smokestacks so to pass under the bridges. I couldn't see the
name of the tug, I remember making a Lincolnesque riverboat for school, he
worked them for awhile, and and one of those modern river tugs from the
nearby Fletcher's Hobby House. When confronted as a youth with the
"Constitution" (in plastic) I had to answer a modeler's question, "What's a
pinvise?" (a vise for a pin, one holds in one's hand to drill small holes,
like for beads in shell bits.)