From:
Neb Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 03:56:41 GMT
Ooops... here's the article I meant to send with my last post.

   The Beethoven Mystery
   Why haven't we figured out his Ninth Symphony yet?
   By Jan Swafford
   Posted  Monday, June 30, 2003, at 2:58 PM PT

   This summer, as every summer, the end of the Boston Symphony's
   Tanglewood season will be marked by another round of Beethoven's
   Ninth Symphony. The world over, the Ninth has become an indispensable
   adornment for socio/musical hooplas. Chances are, it will be played
   soon by an orchestra near you. If you know Western classical music,
   you know this one. Probably half of humanity can hum the little ditty
   that serves as the theme of the choral finalea - "a setting of
   Schiller's revolutionary-era drinking song, "Ode to Joy."

   Which is all to say, the Ninth has attained the kind of ubiquity that
   threatens to gut any artwork. Think Mona Lisa. Still, as with Lisa,
   when that kind of success persists through the centuries, there are
   reasons.

read on here-
http://slate.msn.com/id/2084948/

Neb Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>