From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 20:27:20 +0100
I have received this request. Can anyone help?

   Dear Mr. Mullenger,

   I am gathering research for a new biography of Dennis Brain
   (1921-1957) and part of this project - a large part - is the
   cataloguing and discovery of additional recordings (unoffical
   private recordings, official private recordings, radio broadcasts).
   I have found reference to two single-sided acetate discs of Alan
   Bush's Trent's Broad Reaches and Autumn Poem with Dennis Brain
   accompanied by the composer.  The recordings date from about
   January 1955.  I have contacted the Alan Bush Trust but their
   archivist cannot find these discs.  It is likely they were
   produced for the composer's private collection and most
   probably they are the first performances on 28 January 1955.

   I am interested in tracking down recordings made at Aldeburgh
   in 1955.  I have the Britten Canticle III from that Festival,
   22 June 1955 and a possible 1955 Aldeburgh recording of Dennis
   Brain in Haydn Horn Concerto No.2 (the conductor and orchestra
   can't be identified) and wonder of the Searle Aubade premiere
   might also have been recorded.  The most likely source for such
   a recording would be the composer.  Do you know of the existence
   of a recording with Dennis Brain?

   I am co-writing the book with an American amateur hornplayer.
   Any help you can give would be most welcome.  I have a vast
   archive of recordings of Dennis Brain (and also some of Aubrey
   Brain his father, and Alfred Brain his uncle), many of them out
   of print or unofficial.

   Yours sincerely,
   Stephen Gamble

Len Mullenger