From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:12:59 +0100
I have opened a page on David Curry from notes sent to me by Ewan O'Doherty
If anyone can add any more please let me know

   David Curry (1899-1971)

   Began studying music at age of 9, at 13 he was playing viola
   with Belfast Philharmonic Society, at 15 he had his own dance
   band, by which time he had mastered brass and woodwinds as well
   as strings.  At 19 he was in charge of a cinema orchestra, this
   during the 'silent' era; he made broadcasts on the BBC and in
   1931 joined same as a violinist in the Northern Ireland Orchestra.

   Later he was invited to form a small group within the BBC NI
   Orchestra to play traditional Irish dance music, and by 1949
   this became known as the Northern Ireland Light Orchestra.  By
   this time they had made many broadcasts both on BBC Domestic and
   Overseas' radio services and during the 1950s made a number of
   recordings for what became the EMI Columbia Label (78s, according
   to Ulster Folk & Transport Museum), later issued on one ten-inch
   Medium Play record (ten tracks) / Columbia 33S1086, c. 1959.
   A second (12-inch, 12 track)LP was recorded at Clarence Place
   Hall, Belfast, in May 1964 (David Curry's Irish Band No 2,
   Columbia 33SX1636), while in the USA a 12-inch 12 track LP was
   issued comprising 5 tracks from the earlier disc as well as two
   tracks from one of the 7" EP's (Capitol T10028) and five others
   probably never issued in the UK. The ten-inch Columbia disc was
   re-issued c.1973 on the EMI 'Aran' label (ISLE 3008) and comprised
   all ten tracks from the 33S1086 disc as well as four various
   tracks from the EPs.

   This discography is as complete as I can make it.  The two 7"
   EPs are not quite to hand at this moment but I'll forward all
   details of tracks etc.,if you wish to include all this information.
   David Curry's music seems to have been neglected for many years,
   and in 1994 I made a special radio programme about him which was
   broadcast on one of Dublin's local radio stations, now Dublin
   City Anna Livia FM.

(Sources:- LP Sleeve notes and an RTE Radio programme presented by the
late Joe Linnane, after David Curry's death in 1971)

Len Mullenger
www.musicweb.uk.net  www.FilmMusic.uk.net
www.TheClassicalSite.com