Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:20:19 -0800
Bill Blank wrote:

> I have generally used Amazon to find recordings, but find it limited.

Amazon is a decent source, but can be very frustrating.  CDs are not
listed consistently, and even if a release is in their database, it may
be nearly impossible to find because of the way the CD has been listed
and indexed.

> Could you recommend online CD stores with power searches, esp which
> would allow me to search for pieces like "Bach BWV 999" and list
> extant recordings - in print and out of print.

Perhaps the best database/store for classical collectors is Archiv Music
at http://www.arkivmusic.com/ though I haven't ever ordered from them.
They have a nice setup and very detailed database that avoids the typical
search engine.  The listings are hierarchical, but extensively cross-linked.
The "out of print" issue is tricky.  There's no money to be made listing
recordings that aren't available, so no one that I know of does this.
However, once a CD makes it into the database, Archiv seems to leave it
was a special order.  Amazon does something like this too, but Archiv,
being a classical music store, has a much better database.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/