From:
Aman Ahuja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:25:04 -0500
My name is Aman, I'm 20 years old and a big fan of classical music for
several years now.  Thought I'd bring up a few things.

Being young and interested in CM can be difficult -- it's hard to get
exposed to music.  Few of my friends are interested.  Mp3s (the source
of most music for people our age) are low quality, badly referenced and
labelled, and few CM files are available in any case.  Concerts are
expensive.  Burning friends' CDs is not only illegal, but useless because
said friend doesn't have any classical music except Christmas music and
Holst's Planets.

However, I managed to find some good ways to get into CM.  I also found
a few things that've helped me out.  A lot of things have already been
mentioned in the past (browse the CMML archives), so I'll try to limit
myself to things that haven't (or if they have, I've missed 'em).

I created a Classical Music appreciation club at my college (added bonus:
stick your club-president status on your resume).  Weekly listening
sessions, attending concerts, and borrowing each other's CDs are some
of our activities.  We even got out music department to sponsor ($$)
some of our concert visits.

I joined this mailing list.  This is only my second post, but I read
often and learn a lot.

Look for student ensemble concerts.  Recitals and such are cheaper than
BSO concerts (maybe free).  You may have to travel around, but you always
carpool with your CM Club.

Notice the bad as well as the good.  It helps.  About the piece you are
listening to, about the performer(s), about classical music in general.
Ignorance is not bliss.  For example, classical music tends to discourage
newcomers with it's heavy use [neccessary or unneccessary] of jargon and
rules (to follow at concerts, for example).

Try vinyl.

CM is amazing, but don't limit yourself.  When I first got into this
genre, I did so at the exclusion of all others.  That's not only
unneccesary, but a bad idea.  CM will even improve your appreciation
for other genres.

Don't overlisten to a piece you like.  It's possible!

Do a bit of research before purchasing a recording.  Read the reviews.
It's a good way to keep yourself from ending up with a badly recorded
CD.  It sucks a lot of time, though, and after all the work you may
disagree with the critic completely.

The more you know about a piece, the more you'll enjoy it.  Even if
sounds bad (e.g. John Cage).  Look up historical context, composer
biography, an anecdote or two about the work, and it'll sound better.

Good luck with CM!

-Aman.