From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:24:06 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
   Fantaisie-Impromptu, Op.66

Joseph Hofmann...Philips 456835(1918)
Ronan O'Hora.....Intersound 2898(1995)
Abbey Simon......Vox Box 5178(1960's)

These three performances of Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu involve a time span
of almost eighty years.  Back in Hofmann's era, artists took a more
free-wheeling view of performance style.  Essentially, freedom of expression
was greatly revered within the framework of conveying the composer's unique
psychology.  There is much to be said for such an approach, and this
distinctive way of playing music will always garner admiration and affection
from many classical piano enthusiasts.

Hofmann was born in Krakow in 1876 and was touring Europe as a seven year
old prodigy.  His USA debut at the Metropolitan Opera House was in 1887;
goodness, I wasn't even born for another 60 years.  Hofmann's illustrious
concert playing career ended in 1942, and he passed away in 1957.  Among a
long list of accomplishments and honors, Hofmann was the first artist ever
to make a recording and Rachmaninov dedicated to him the 3rd Piano Concerto.
  If the word 'legend' applies to any keyboard artist, it is Joseph Hofmann.

Also included on Hofmann's program on this 2-cd Philips Great Pianist set
are seven other works by Chopin, one of Grieg's Lyric Pieces, four pieces
from Liszt including the Hungarian Rhapsody No.2, two Rachmaninov Preludes,
and much more.

Ronan O'Hora is no legend nor will he ever be one.  However, he concertizes
frequently and has many recordings under his belt.  I have another disc by
O'Hora of Schumann piano works; I reviewed his version of Kinderszenen a few
months ago and found it enjoyable but a far distance from the best
interpretations.  O'Hora's Chopin disc includes two Polonaises, the Ballade
Op.23, three Nocturnes, two Waltzes, and two Mazurkas.

Abbey Simon has had a distinguished recording and concert career.  Vox Box
has two sets of discs devoted to his Chopin performances, and this
particular set has some big hitters: the last two piano sonatas, the Four
Impromptus, the Four Scherzos, and the Four Ballades.

Comparing Simon to O'Hora, all the advantages reside with Simon.  He is more
commanding and desperate in the 1st section with a much better terracing of
the ascending runs toward the end.  In the 2nd section, Simon offers more
nuance than O'Hora, insuring greater interest throughout its length.  Sound
quality is fine in both versions without exhibiting any exceptional
qualities.  O'Hora's is an enjoyable middle-of-the-pack reading, while
Simon's is among the better versions; neither astounds at any point in time.

Hofmann comes to us with quite ancient sound; the aural debris on all the
disc's tracks is prevalent, and Opus 66 has the most pervasive debris of
all.  Also, the piano sound is recessed and has trouble ringing out through
the interference.

Given the sound quality, it wouldn't be reasonable to promote Hofmann's
version as a first or second choice.  However, there's a flow to his
music-making which is magical and his phrasing is exquisitely incisive and
nautural.

First and foremost, Hofmann's version is very fast at slightly over 4
minutes in length.  In the 1st section, it's 'full speed and full steam
ahead', as Hofmann displays his commanding technical skills.  Most
impressive is how well he terraces the ascending lines at the end of the 1st
section with such a fast tempo.

In the 2nd section, Hofmann is constantly driving toward the finish line; he
sees no reason to dally.  Even so, he does offer little changes in tempo and
dynamics to keep interest at peak levels.  From my view, Hofmann's quick 2nd
section only takes a back seat to the equally fast performance from Samson
Francois which has greater urgency.

Don's Conclusions: Hofmann's performance is the exceptional one of the three
versions reviewed in Part 4.  His sound is a major hindrance, but those who
can break through that obstacle will hear a fast and outstanding
interpretation.  Simon's reading should be quite pleasing to most folks, and
his 2-disc set is loaded with the best of Chopin.
O'Hora's main virtue is price; I got it on the used market for less than the
cost of a Quarter Pounder with Cheese.  Still, even with the very low price,
I'm skeptical that the disc is of much listening value.

Yes, Virginia, there will be a Part 5.  I have exhausted the versions of
Opus 66 that I own and have resorted to acquiring three of them off the
world-wide-web.  Once they come in, I'll proceed with Part 5.

Don Satz