From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:49:53 +0000
Kim Patrick Clow asks:

>Why is this happening?

It's just the normal market forces at work, not some harbinger of
classical music doom.  Mozart's anniversary prompted Philips to put more
Mozart product on the market in anticipation of greater demand.  When
that demand naturally goes down, some of the existing product is a glut
on the market.  Some of the performances in the complete set will never
again see the light of day, some will be reissued in different presentations,
and some will remain constantly at our disposal.  Whether I like this
'tearing apart' business is a different matter; I don't have to worry
about profits.

Don Satz