From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:57:44 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I was taken aback by all the versions on record - almost forty of them.
>Of course, the Richter/Philips from Sofia is considered the best of the
>bunch.  What other performances do you find highly rewarding? I have a few
>other recordings, and I'm not sure that I want to invest in dozens of them.

Dave Canfield of Ars Antiqua, is, as far as I know, the authority on
Pictures.  I have a discography he prepared at least five years ago.
It lists 133 different recordings of the piano version.

Amongst the most interesting I have are:

Prokofiev recorded at least two of the movements on reproducing piano
rolls; Nadia Reisenberg on Westminister; Kapell (Frick Museum concert);
Horowitz, etc.

Also of interest, the Pennario recording (10in Capitol box) also offered
an essay which included all of the known Pictures from Pictures.

Karl