From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:50:32 -0400
Hector Aguilar wrote:

>I remember being completely enchanted with some of the quartets performed
>by the Tatrai quartet, on Hyperion.

On Hungaroton.  Much closer to Eszterhaza ...

>I don't remember exactly which ones, but I thought they might have been
>called the "Esterhazy" quartets. . . .

The Tatrai recorded almost all the quartets, but none of Haydn's quartets
is nicknamed "Esterhazy".  (Perhaps you mean "Erdodyi".) I think they
skipped op.42 and op. 103 and I have never seen op.9 with them, either.

>Perhaps someone else can provide more information.

The whole cycle is good, but traditional.  Much better are both
traversals by the Festetics Quartet (first one on Hungaroton, second -
still in progress - on Arcana) and by the Mosaiques - also in progress -
(on Astree).  They all show up at Berkshire occasionally.

-Margaret Mikulska