From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:41:46 -0700
Jan Templiner responded to Don Satz:

>>I love Alfred Brendel's Philips recordings of Haydn's piano sonatas, and
>>Andras Schiff isn't far behind.
>
>I wonder whether anyone else has Rudolf Buchbinder's recordings on Teldec.
>They're reissued in a ten-CD budget-priced set, and I am very, very happy
>with them.

Met too (perhaps only one "very" for me though).  I picked up the
Buchbinder set about a decade ago a two 5-CD sets for about $6 a disc
at Tower in Vienna Virginia.  I wasn't aware that Teldec had reissued
them once again.  (Am I the only one with a rather large collection who
can remember when and where they bought just about everything?)

>While it obviously is no fortepiano, I think he conveys the
>"spirit of the music" (whatever that is) very well.

I agree, whatever that means.  He has a light touch, but isn't afraid to
get more dynamic and expressive when it's called for, especially in the
later works.  It's my basic set, which I've augmented with performances by
Schiff, Kocsis, Brendel, and Serkin on piano; and by Faron, Badura-Skoda,
and Odiaga on fortepiano. I think this is a good formula for exploring
very prolific composers on disc.  Get all the basics in one set (hopefully
at a bargain price), then add individual performances you like.  It has
probably already been mentioned, but Brilliant Classics offers all the
sonatas played on fortepiano in a 10 CD set for $19.90 at Berkshire
Record Outlet (http://www.broinc.com/).

Dave
http://www.classical.net/