From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:49:01 +0100
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>:

>I seem to recall reading in Maynart Solomon's book, "Beethoven",
>that Beethoven was not a very conscientious counterpoint student.
>While studying under Haydn, he had a friend do some of his exercises
>(am I correct on this? Beethoven scholars, please feel free to jump in).

You're not correct.  Beethoven didn't trust Haydn as a teacher and handed
over his exercises to another (Schenk) for a second correction.  It is said
that Schenk was not impressed either by Haydn as a teacher.  However,
Schenk's dealings still are a point of discussion among Beethoven
researchers.  Actually there's little strong evidence.

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven