From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 16:08:38 -0800
I'm of the opinion that the S.F. Symphony's MTT fans ought not take too
much comfort in Janos's press conference account.  Surely Janos knows that
in these luring-a-superstar negotiations, in showbiz or sports or commerce,
bare-faced lying is usually a standard part of the process.  MTT's career
& personality have always exhibited a marked "Be Like Lenny" character.  I
think most observers (and I imagine MTT himself) would see the job at the
New York Philharmonic as the logical and even inevitable capstone to his
career.  At any rate, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happened
sometime in future.

If the wheels were greased for MTT to go to the Phil, say at the end a
4-year Maazel interregnum, he will have been in S.F. for a dozen years,
a fairly long tenure for music directors these days.  The era of
MDs-for-lifes -- Ormandy, Szell, Solti -- is over.  Though MTT has done
great things in San Francisco, I for one wouldn't be inconsolable if he
moved on in 2006 or thereabouts.  Most every conductor eventually wears out
his welcome with his repertoire hobby horses and lacunae (though of course
his departure could be a disaster if the board doesn't find the right
successor).

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.
(S.F. Symphony subscriber since 1989)