Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:45:51 -0500
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Just my subjective opinions and recommendations. There are quite a few
treasures on that label. I may have missed it, but I didn't see listed
several issues of the Harry Partch recordings which I have.

Sadly, some of the treasures from the LP era are not listed on CD. Others,
like the Goeb  (one of my many favorite "long lost composers") Symphonies
were reissued on another label.

Some of the discs were clearly vanity pressings, funded by the individual
composers. However, at the sale prices, there is little to be lost in
picking some of them up...I did and have a pile waiting for some free
time for listening.

For various reasons...some suggestions:

Lewis 569
Intense dissonance, yet filled with dramatic contrast.

Picker 589
Eclectic but a talented composer, early works less tonal, more recent,
quite tonal.

Josten 597
Tonal, Con Sacro-lovely

Berger 622
Gifted non-tonal

Bergsma et al 634
Mainstream American

Harris et al 664
Mainstream American

Bassett 677
Non tonal, well written

Fine 692
Brilliant composer

Beeson 694
Fine opera composer

Glanville Hicks 695
Vocal music highly distinctive

Read 742
Fine neoclassic

Mayer 767
Gifted melodically

Rochberg 768
Must have, powerful Second Symphony

Howe 785
Tonal, lovely if not too inspired melodically

Schuman 791
Not the best performances but brilliant music

Barati 794
Fine, well structured, perhaps not all that impressive thematically

Van Vactor  829
Conservative and at times melodically attractive

Dahl et al 874
Piano works; based on a published volume of music. A wonderful cross
section of many brilliant composers, from tonal to non-tonal

Foss 880
Mostly early, tonal, choral works...he was an excellent composer early on

Stevens 892
One of my favorites

Tcherepnin 896
Alexander T. Wonderful piano works