Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:26:56 EDT
From:
Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Hi All, I recently came back from Tower with two wonderful cds that I
thought I'd share with you(not the actual cds;).

The first is an all Schumann chamber disc with Martha Argerich and others.
The piano quintet is with Argerich, Dora Schwarzberg, Lucy Hall, Nabuko
Imai, and Mischa Maisky.  It is superb and IMO one of the very best on
disc.  It has that magical combination of warmth, depth and, detail among
individual instruments and ensemble playing that is what I am always
looking for in chamber works.  Also the combination of enthusiasm and
poetry that this work requires.

Also on the disc are terrific versions of Andante and Variations op 46,
Fantasiestucke op.  73, and the Marchenbilder op.  113.  The Marchenbilder
is particularly lovely.  This is really chamber playing at its finest and
I strongly reccomend this disc.

The other acquisition is possibly even more of a knockout--Pierre-Laurent
Aimard at Carnegie Hall.  I have heard little of Aimard in the past but
that will soon change.  He is a superb player, sensitive, nuanced, with a
tremendous technique and command of structure (and considering the program
which includes Beethoven, Liszt, Ligetti and Messaien he certainly needs
a clear grasp of structure!).  I find his playing to be both lyrical and
fleet, analytical and poetic which to me is quite an accomplishment(though
many of the best pianists bring together seemingly opposing
characteristics).

The program consists of the Berg piano sonata, Beethoven Appassionata,
Liszt Legendes No.  2, some Debussy Images, some Ligetti Etudes, and
one piece from Messaien's Vingt Regardes.  The intelligence and fingers
required to bring off such a program and make it work must be impressive to
say the least and Aimard is even moreso -simply a phenomenal player.  Each
piece sounds fluid (almost easy to play) and there is an internal logic
that develops among the pieces that brings together romantic and modern
music in an intelligent and beautiful way.  This is quite a disc and a
revelation.

Ahh the feeling of money well spent (when you don't have much money it's
important not to waste it on stinky cds but rather on good ones;)

All the best,

Peter Herwitz