Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 20:22:46 +0000
From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
I recently bought Volume 9 of the Mravinsky Edition on Melodya,
distributed by BMG, 74321 25198 2.  The disc contains live performances
with the Leningrad Philharmonic of Symphony No. 6 (recorded in 1972) and
Symphony No. 10 (1976).  Although, I've never really listened much to
Shostakovich, I recognized the label and the price was right, US$7.99.

After listening to it, all I can say is WOW!  These are tremendous
performances, clear, energetic with those powerhouse final movements.
Mravinsky really puts the orchestra through it's paces and it responds
beautifully.  The audience seems almost reverentially quiet.  These
performances are real eye-openers for me.  I'm wondering why I never
really appreciated DSCH before.

Has anyone else heard this disc?  How do these performances compare to
others?  Where do I go from here?

All the Best,

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, New Jersey (home of the Rutgers tomato and the Sopranos), USA