Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:26:54 EST
From:
Jim Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Are there any recordings of this work *without* the evangelist parts (the
>half-spoken ones).  Or would it be regarded as a sacrilege? ...
>
>Do the spoken passages exclusively ritual function? Do you listen to them
>(especially in German recordings if you don't know German)? I find myself
>pushing buttons when listening to the Passion to omit them way too often.
>Do I miss something?

I don't understand German either, except for a few words.  But I can't
imagine a Passion without the narrative portions.  If they are well-sung,
they convey the emotion and movement of the story.  If you are bored by
them, perhaps you are not hearing the best performances? My personal
favorites are Howard Crook (Herreweghe's 1985 recording) and Anthony Rolfe
Johnson (John Eliot Gardiner).  Try a couple of perfomances, and try the
work in small doses to start.

Good luck!

Jim Saunders
Portland, Oregon