From:
Milt Lathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:30:33 -0400
Visited my two hives in the hills east of Seattle yesterday and found two
curious things.

1) Deformed bees:
   a) looked like a field worker (smooth body) with stubby wings
   b) a young bee, bent at the midsection, wings only on her right side -
both were crawling (spinning on the ground) and very apparently in
distress.  I assume some bees will be suffer some malady naturally - do I
assume mites (no other evidence) and medicate?

2) Lots of field bees bringing in nectar but almost no pollen and none
stored in the most active of the two hives.  I've always assumed that when
the bees find nectar they can find pollen - is there such a thing as pollen
dearth?