From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:45:34 -0600
Bob:

You are right about Danny Weaver's advocacy of the bee genome project.  He
also worked hard to keep the bee labs open.

The TENT is part of the support system for our DARPA funded research.  It's
aat SwRI (Southwest Research Institute) in San Antonio.  Gerry Loper was
working with us (UM) and wondered if the TENT might work for breeding
queens.  He went over and talked with Danny, and together we conducted some
mating trials.  Bit of a mixed bag for results, but good enough for Gerry
to get some industry $$ to build a tent in Tucson - more convenient than
San Antonio and more control.  The DARPA TENT has had lots of other things
competing for use.

However, the DARPA TENT may become available for other users soon, as the
DARPA project that built it winds to a close.  The TENT is 1 acre, 210 Ft
per side, 40 ft  tall in middle, 30 ft tall at sides.  Area under the TENT
is 1/2 scrub oak, 1/2 open grass.  Anyone wanting to conduct trials in the
TENT should contact me.  I will put them in contact with the proper folks
at SwRI.

Cheers

Jerry

P.S. The TENT fabric was sized to be honey bee tight.  It does reduce solar
radiation by about 50%.