From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:44:47 +0200
Don Satz writes:

>While browsing over the latest Chandos web pages, I noticed that one of
>the company's new releases for April is a 2-cd set of Zemlinsky's String
>Quartets performed by the Schoenberg Quartet.  Sure enough, it's the same
>group of four with an 'e' thrown in.

I don't know the Zemlinskys (yet, only the 1st), but I know the Schonberg
quartet.  I beleive the missing 'e' is caused by the problem of typing the
o-umlaut on the computer (or the typewriter).  The Schonberg quartet is
a Dutch ensemble, the members are also members of the Schonberg ensemble
of Reinbert de Leeuw.  Both the Quartet and the Ensemble specialize in
performing the so called modern repertoire, from the second Viennese school
to Fernyhough.  The Quartet have recently recorded all Schonbergs string
quartets I beleive for Chandos.

Peter Wisse [log in to unmask]