From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 19:33:24 -0500
Jan Templiner replies to Dave Lampson:

>I want to ask: What do you think about the future of classical music
>in surround? Does it really add something significant or is it just
>playing around with the technology without significant improvement?

I think the best use of the increased storage capacity of DVD and SACD
is with two channels, rather than six.  This solves the main limitation
introduced by the CD format, which is low resolution in the digital domain
(i.e.  frequency response and dynamic range), which accounts for the grainy
sound we characterize as "digital".  Divvying up the source into extra
channels reduces the resolution per channel, and will (for many) dilute
the quality of each speaker in the typical sound system.

Mike