HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:40:27 -0700
Back in the Paleolothic, when I was teaching courses in historical
archaeology, I encouraged students to present measurements, when possible,
in units used originally by the producer, especially when these were either
US Customary or metric.  All artifacts are ideas made tangible, so the name
of the game is to get at the idea or ideas surrounding their manufacture,
distribution, and use without imposing a set of extraneous (in this case,
archaelogical) values on the data.  One did not walk into a store and order
a bottle of gin in an oval shaped container that is eight inches tall, four
inches wide, and an inch-and-a-half deep.  One instead asked for a pint of
gin (in this case, actually, 4/5ths of a pint, or 750 milliliters).
    If one is describing parts from a German-made car, metric should be the
measurement of choice.  If the car is American manufactured, US Customary
measurements would be in order.
    In the last few years, of course, American manufactuers of containers
have been going metric in their measurements.  Somewhere on liquor bottles
there are molded numbers giving their capacities, now universally in metric.
You could formerly buy a pint or quart, but the likelihood is that you're
now paying about the same price for 375 ml. (4/5ths pint) or 750 ml. (4/5ths
quart).  If out of habit you ask for a pint or quart, you'll probably get a
fifth less.
    But that's part of the social, political, and economic history of
packaging, isn't it?  And aren't those the kinds of things we're trying to
get at?
    Since the United States has not gone universally metric, I believe --
with Pfeiffer -- that most measurements, such as as those for architectural
units, should be presented using the US Customary scale.  All U.S. builders
and architects I know think and deal in terms of square footage and not
square meters, and their measurments are in feet and inches.  Why impose a
system on the data that was not there in the first place?
    B. Fontana