HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:03:10 -0400
Peter King probably knows more about historic British iron works than anyone
else.  He posted this to the arch-metals list.  I pass it on.

I did not even go into the difference in the buildings.  I assumed that your
question concerned only the main structure.  But what Peter says is certainly
true.  There would be a lot more "building" associated with a blast furnace.
There would be some kind of casting floor with a roof.  The blowing house or
bellows structure would be much larger.  It would not be unusual to find that a
blast furnace had a finery forge and smithy built as part of the same complex.

The geographic location would also be different.  Until such time as powered
lifts were available to load blast furnaces, they would have been built against
the side of a hill so that the charge could be wheeled to the top of the stack
across a bridge.  To some extent location would be a dead give away.  I can
think  of no compelling reason to build a bloomery against the side of a hill.
That doesn't mean that there aren't some that were.

Jamie