HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Daria E. Merwin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:48:47 -0400
Folks were so helpful last time we had a ceramic question, so I figured I'd
try another.  We have a fragment of a red printed whiteware cup with a male
figure surrounded by a floral motif (could be shamrock and rose).  The text
under the portrait reads "born 5th [or possibly 8th] July 17..."  The cup
is from a mid-19th century domestic site on the north shore of eastern Long
Island, New York.  If this rings any bells for anyone, we'd sure like to
know more about the piece.  I can send a scan to anyone interested in
eyeballing it.

Thanks very much!
Daria

Daria E. Merwin, M.A., R.P.A.