HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:48:20 +0000
Hi Ron,

I like this kind of diversion - and actually, it's right on point for
me!

It is interesting that you chose 'cosiness' as a quality to describe an
interior, particularly of a brick building. One of the things I am
exploring in my thesis is looking at what the Dutch call 'gezelligheid'
- socialbility or pleasantness.  What the a Dutch East India Company
employee of English ancestry valued as 'gezellig' (being cosy) in a
house on the Cape 400 years ago is not, necessarily the same thing as
new arrivals from Rotterdam valued in Iowa 100 years ago, or as is
valued in Amsterdam today by a Dutch citizen of Indonesian ancestry.

Do you know what made a building cosy for your grandfather?  What makes
it cosy for you? What I find interesting in the Dutch construct is that
it often includes an element of sociability (cosy = a place where you
can, literally, through big windows, see folks having a good time
together).

And once you know what cosy is, and that houses should be cosy, there is
the whole relationship between perceptions of 'cosiness' and the thermal
properties of brick!

Best wishes,

Pat
(for whom cosy has an aural component)

In message , Ron May <[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)