HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
R Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:01:18 -0800
Robin,

This is most likely a horseshoe nail from Northwestern Horse Nail Company of
Chicago. The company was founded in 1862 by N. Corwith. By 1873 they were
producing 750 tons of horse nails annually. Sometime after 1885 they became
a part of the Union Horse Nail Company. In 1921 the Union was bought by the
Fowler Nail Company.

By the 1870s a makers mark on the side of the head of the machine
manufactured horseshoe nail was a common feature for name brand nails both
as advertizement and as an aid for the horseshoer. The nails were "tipped"
to be directional when hammered and the mark let the shoer "feel" which side
of the nail he had and which direction it would go when hammered into the
horses foot.

Has your nail been used? Or is it an un-used or discarded nail? Un-used or
discarded nails (bent or twisted in the shoeing process, so never installed)
are the usual ones found with marks still readable on them.

If you send me a picture of the mark and a picture of the whole nail I might
be able give you some more information.

Rick Morris