HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:00:46 -0700
Ron:

Tom Noel wrote the definitive work on the history of saloons in Denver for
his PhD dissertation. He's a family friend and I know him well. That
doesn't mean Tom knows much about the archeology of saloons. He's a fine
historian and I have used his book for information (some of it could use
rethinking, such as comparing the number of saloons to the number of PEOPLE
in a community instead of the number of ADULT MALES in the period before
prohibition, when women were not allowed to be customers of saloons in most
states and territories in the west). He also gives a great talk and tour,
as he loves his subject matter.

Cathy

                      Ron May
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: comparative data on saloons
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      01/16/03 10:15 PM
                      EST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Cathy,

At the 1983 SHA Conference in Denver, one of the evening tours was a Saloon
Crawl led by a chap who did his dissertation on the saloons of Denver. He
published a book on the topic, as well. I seem to recall a rascal named
"Soapy" who died in a shoot-out in Skagway who also worked the saloons of
Denver, making me think you should look to Denver for some of your answers.
Twenty years is just too long to recall the name of the guy who wrote on
saloons, but maybe Smoke Pfiefer or Roderick Spraque or one of the others
on that tour will recall.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.