HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:13:04 -0700
Matt:

Could you share with all of us a complete citation for Jim Rock's 1998 can
guide? I have a much earlier one, but would be interested in something more
up to date.

Cathy Spude

                      Matt Thomas
                      <maplematt@HOTMAI        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      L.COM>                   cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Can question
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      12/05/02 02:30 PM
                      CST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

The kind of can you seem to be describing are known as the modern roll form
cans, which replaced the earlier smoothed sided sanitary cans.  According
to Jim Rock's 1998 can guide, the roll form can was "perfected" by American
engineers in the early 1920s, changing the the American canning industry,
since it was now possible to produce cans at a much greater speed and
efficiency.  Presumably, the rings result from or facilitate the rolling
process in their manufacturing.