HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:43:01 -0400
J -- you might refer to :

Lewis, Griselda
1999    A Collector's History of English Pottery  Antique Collector's Club  Suffolk, UK

for a little more info on refined redwares.

Luster wares are covered in the Lewis book, but I have seen whole volumes dedicated to them in the collector's literature.

You might also check the histarch archive, as I believe we discussed these a few years back (I was taken to task for referring to them as "Astbury-like wares)

George is correct about black glazed teapots except to add that they are probably still being made today.

For the transfer print wares, one assumes they are probably post 1820's if the print is brown.  I have seen sherds mostly in later 19th century contexts. Cautionary note: A friend's mother serves
Thanksgiving turkey on a huge transfer printed platter with underglaze painted accenting. She bought it new just a few years ago....

Carl Steen

9/25/2002 2:27:25 PM, "George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jeannine,
>
>      Have you looked at Trish Samford's article "Response to a Market:
>Dating English Transfer-Printed Wares."  It has been reprinted in the
>second edition of the SHA reader complied by David Brauner which is titled:
>Approaches to Material Culture Research for Archaeologists. It is available
>from the SHA for $25.00.  Page 77 in the reader has some information on
>printed and painted wares.  These begin to show up in the 1840s and became
>more common after ca 1870.
>
>      Your question on Jackfield is difficult to answer because these wares
>evolved into refined black glazed redware teapots that continued to me made
>through the 19th and into the 20th centuries.  The "silvered" refined
>redware you describe sounds like luster ware and you should be able to find
>some dating information on it in some of the compendiums on English
>earthenware.
>
>George L. Miller
>URS Corporation
>Florence, New Jersey