HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:02:12 -0500
To add yet another voice to this discussion -

I am surprised that no one has asked for more information concerning the goals/constraints of the proposed reconstruction project.  Off-site/adjacent construction to preserve the original foundation would seem the most sound plan from a strictly preservation standpoint.  Others have mentioned some of the issues that might arise from trying to incorporate the surviving foundations into the new structure.

If it is vitally important to present a reconstruction (or an interpretive structure like that at Franklin Court) on the precise location of surviving foundations it may be possible to erect the new structure cantilevered over the old foundation.  This would put the new structure on the exact footprint of the original while preserving the surviving fabric.  This was one of the suggestions that we developed a few years ago for reconstruction of the Officer’s Quarters at Fort Frederick (MD).

Regards,
John

John P. McCarthy, RPA
Hist. Pres. Spec. - Archaeologist