HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Steen
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:34:34 -0400
Steve --

if you need help before the CNEHA conference you might refer to my MA Thesis

"The Intercolonial Trade of Domestic Earthenwares and the Growth of an American Social Identity"
1989 College of William and Mary, Williamsburg Va.

or recent Historical Archaeology article 1999 (Vol 33, 3, 62-72)

"Pottery, Intercolonial Trade and Revolution...."

I used Philadelphia earthenwares found at Fortress Louisbourg as an example.

You might also want to look at

"Domestic Pottery of the Northeastern United States, 1625 - 1850"
1985, Sarah Peabody Turnbaugh, editor. Academic Press, Orlando, Fl

Good Luck,

Carl Steen

4/10/2002 12:48:14 PM, Stephen Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Meta,
>
>I would love to see a discussion on redware trade up and down the eastern
>seaboard.  At the 17th-18th century sites in Newfoundland we have thousands
>of sherds of coarse redwares that we believe may not be from  English
>sources (at least those that we are familiar with) and may be from New
>England potters.  We need help!
>
>Steve Mills
>Archaeology Unit
>Memorial University of Newfoundland