HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:19:24 -0600
D. Babson wrote:

> I've seen "sites" for things like hunters drinking in or near a
> deer stand, or at an animal processing station--scatters of
> aluminum/steel beer cans or glass bottles.  Usually classified as
> "dumps," which probably isn't very accurate.

Along those lines, I heard a very interesting paper at SEAC a couple of
years back about a hunting station.  It wasn't so much about what was there,
shot gun shells (as I remember), but about what wasn't there, nifty
aborginal artifacts.  Apparently, there exists a correlation between hunters
waiting around for prey and time to look for "arrowheads."  Although I can't
remember the paper title or author, I thought it was a very clever analysis.

I've been busy and haven't read this entire thread, so I hope I'm not
repeating what someone else has said.  If so, forgive me.

Linda Derry, Director
Old Cahawba - AHC
719 Tremont St.
Selma, AL 36701 - 5446
ph. 334/875-2529 / email: [log in to unmask]