From:
Nick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:00:01 -0500
Scott Morrison wrote, in part,

One personal note: whenever I am really down and am having real trouble
>remembering that this is a wonderful world, I often put on something of
>Torke's - my long-time favorite has been 'Javelin', which he wrote on
>commission for the Atlanta Olympic Games (and which they inexplicably
>did not use!) - and my spirits come bubbling up; it is simply impossible
>for me to stay down with this music in the air.

<Javelin> was commissioned by the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic
Games, not to be played on television, but in celebration of the Atlanta
Symphony Orchestra's 50th anniversary.  Though, to my knowledge, the
piece was never used in the TV coverage, it was certainly "used" by the
orchestra, which premiered it in September 1994 at the opening concert
of the anniversary season, played it extensively on tour that year, and
recorded it as the title piece for an Argo CD of Torke works.  (This ASO
recording is of course different from the John Williams recording of the
piece on his CD of Olympic tunes.)

Nick Jones
Program Annotator
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra