From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:48:22 -0500
Anne Ozorio upbraids Denis Fodor obliquely:

>The saddest thing about this debate is the digging of theoretical
>trenches rather than considering the wider cultural horizons.  Art
>addresses human issues.  Whether we think this matters or not, why
>should we deny to others what we might not personally appreciate?

Art may seek to address human issues but, more often than not, fails
to do so well and persuasively.  That's why good art is much rarer than
tawdry art.  And, of course, we should not deny others  the right to
express what they think is right. One of the main reasons for this is
that, thank the Lord, we are  unable to (unless we're running Iraq). But
how about allowing Mozart the right to express himself the way he chose
to express himself-- and not the way Sellars thinks he ought to have
expressed himself?

Mozart's no cultural midget, after all.

Denis Fodor