From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:41:52 -0400
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>It STILL IS: I, VI, ii, V but I forgive you.
>
>IN the Key of C major the ii chord is a minor chord spelled D, F, A.
>Try it, you'll like it.  I wouldn't lie to you.  The IV chord that you
>list is a major chord in C Major: F A C a VERY CLOSE RELATIVE as you
>can see.

Just to add a tiny wrinkle, I was brought up on the excellent but
unconventional Alchin system which would have spelled the sequence I, vi,
ii, V, recognizing the minor nature of the A minor chord in the sequence.

As for tension and release, in addition to the V I stuff, there is the
tension types caused suspended notes over chords, and the diminished 7ths
(e.g.  B D F A-flat) that can resolve anywhere.  And I'm sure others can
enumerate more.

Two of my favorites are the constantly modulating sequence of cadences
making up the chorale in the finale of Bruckner's 5th, and the blast of
dissonance that resolves the Prince's command in Prokofiev's "Romeo and
Juliet."

Jeff Dunn