From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:59:17 -0700
I'll bite:

Jeff Dunn on Griffiths:

>>Nothing is lost, music says: it is here.  But also: it is here only
>>because it cannot come back.'
>
>It is here only because it cannot come back??

It's all relative, but in a sense, the performance can't come back.  You
can look at a painting until you drop, but when the musician(s) is done....
It takes a midwife, so to speak, to bring a score to life--a variable that
makes each performance one of a kind.  I believe some electronic composers
put their performances on tape to remove this variable.

>Hmm, music can store.  And pigs can fly.  Or is Griffiths saying 'people
>can remember'?

While the score is sitting on the shelf, no, but during a performance,
sure.  I can think of two poignant examples:  Prokofiev's tragic recasting
of sections of the "Balcony" scene in the "Death of Juliet" scene, in Romeo
and Juliet; and VW's quiet, resigned reiteration of those great yearning
suspensions in the scherzo of his symphony #9.

>   'But like time in the everyday world, it passes.  It is memory to
>   which its audience has only temporary access, and it can thereby
>   waver between these two spheres, of the remembered and of immediate
>   experience.  From this duality comes its capacity to be realistic in
>   its solace and also in its sternness.'
>
>I don't see how the music can waver.  Certainly the listener's thoughts can
>waver.  Yes music can provide solace.  But is it at the same time a stern
>schoolmarm shaking the listener like some movie character saying 'Snap out
>of it!'?

Well, I've hardly shed a tear over it, but when a particular performance
is over, it's over.  The exact same performance and reaction is not coming
back, from an external point of view and an internal one:  I still get
excited when I see a new recording of Verdi's Requiem, a favorite of my
teenage years, but it just doesn't turn me on anymore and this I find a
little bit sad.  I'ts the memory of the excitement I revel in.  The same
goes for the popular Shostakovich symphonies.  Oh well.

John Smyth