From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 06:54:20 -0500
Bert Bailey responds to Peter Herwitz's Ligeti CD:

>As are Aimard's various Ligeti recordings.  Teldec's The Ligeti Project,
>Vol 1, with Reinbert de Leeuw conducting the Asko Ensemble, includes his
>Piano Concerto -- but I think that series was discontinued.  Pierre Boulez
>also chose Aimard as the soloist on his own recording of Ligeti's PC
>(Deutsche Grammophon 439 808-2).

By pure coincidence (as opposed to the hand of God), I was listening to
the Teldec CD on Tuesday.  What a wonderful compilation!  Also contains
Ligeti's Melodien, Chamber Concerto, and an Elgar Horwath arrangement for
trumpet and chamber ensemble of three arias from Grande Macabre, called
Mysteries of the Macabre.  The precision of Ligeti's aural imagination
bowls me over, as does his sense of humor.  I would describe at least 3
movements of the piano concerto, for example, as "wacky."

Steve Schwartz