From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:49:36 -0700
It occurred to me that THIS LIST actually fulfills the function abdicated
by Classical Music radio that we all lamented here recently: if radio no
longer exposes us to new or unfamiliar composers or compositions, we have
the list members who are such excellent advocates for works far off the
beaten path.  True, with radio, we actually HEAR the piece and so know
more or less immediately if we're attracted; but let's face it, hearing
something totally new on even the most adventurous radio stations is pretty
rare.  Yet here on the list, we are exposed DAILY to three, five, a dozen
unknown composers, advocated by knowledgeable CM enthusiasts, who often
provide links for us to go immediately and sample the pieces for ourselves.
So one of the most important educational/broadening functions of radio is
supplied here.  But the education and discussion goes so far beyond what
radio can do, that really, even if each of us was blessed with THREE
different non-commercial and adventurous radio stations in his or her
locale, (wouldn't that be great?) the list would still be irreplaceable.
So happy anniversary and long may we all continue!!  And let me add my
thanks to Dave Lampson, for his creation, his work, his time, and his
tactful mastery, which all combine to enrich the lives of all CM lovers
who participate.

Dave Wolf [log in to unmask]