From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:47:04 -0500
Jocelyn Wang posted an article:

>U.S. National Public Radio Cuts 47 Jobs in Reorganization, Gutting
>"Performance Today"
>
>Philip Kennicott
>
>The Washington Post - 12 April 2002
>
>...  Once a bastion of the traditional high arts, NPR is working to
>reshape itself to appeal to an audience it perceives as more interested
>in news and talk shows than in classical music and jazz.

Ok, I haven't been a fan of Public Radio since it changed from Educational
Broadcasting...while there was a time when NPR really did address the
arts...but for me the phrase "once a bastion of the traditional high
arts..."..."once?" How long ago was that? I can remember some fine programs
twenty-five years ago or so...but as of late? It just seems to me that it
has been on a downhill slide for many years.  To my thinking, the recent
"changes" are part of a logical progression.  I often wonder if anyone has
explored the "changes" relating them to the introduction of "ads" on public
broadcasting.

Isn't it about time for public broadcasting to relinquish its tax exempt
status?

Karl (who feels very lucky to be able to do things like his current series
of broadcasts of the string quartets of Robert Simpson)