From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:55:39 -0700
Donald Satz wrote, on Monday, April 15, 2002, at 22:00:

>Trying to get the pulse on the orchestra members' views about Dutoit's
>departure is probably a waste of time.  These views will differ, and
>the departure is happening anyways.

Don, did you actually read those articles before replying? Or were you
opinining off the cuff.  That's how it sounds.  The departure was not
a finality, though a probability.  The harm is in the loss of recording
contracts which Decca has already indicated is for Dutoit rather than the
orchestra in their mind.

The other harm is in what happens with this season's plans.  Much more
complicated than what you say.

Also, it's well and good to find a better, younger, perhaps more exciting
conductor, but the article pointed out their pay is not competitive, for
that.  On the other hand, if orchestras like this would just look to
younger talent and use them instead of waiting for European imports, they
might be surprised how well they do.

I sang in the Symphony Chorus here in San Francisco for 8 years in the
70s and for their 20th anniversary year of 9 performance weeks.  I know a
lot about the unhappiness of orchestra members who trained all their lives
to be soloists (they have to be good enough to be soloist material) but
who wound up working, essentially, as instrumental choristers - virtually
unheard, after all those years.  Backup to the new younger instrumentalist
who is soloing for them that week.

Every day of their work, being led around by some guy's baton or his arm.

It's very frustrating and can be embittering if they don't find their own
niche in chamber ensembles on the side.

Andrys
http://andrys.com