From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 01:57:48 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Mike Leghorn replies to David Runnion:
>
>>>You can enjoy the silence of a muted ER but that's just you enjoying
>>>silence, it is not Cage.
>
>Perhaps David should have phrased it this way: You are listening to Cage's
>4'33" if you think you are.  Just as you are "listening" to Beethoven's 3rd
>if it or a fragment of it is playing in your head.

Welllll, something like that.  No, my feeling is that you are listening
to Cage when it is actually a concert situation and there are performer(s)
on stage doing absolutely nothing except trying not to laugh.  When you're
listing to the silence of a muted game show you're just listening to
silence; perhaps an understanding of Cage might make the silence more
interesting for you, but it is not the piece itself.  Now if you're
listening to Beethoven in your head that's Beethoven, but not a
performance.  So then what's the difference, if you listen to nothing
in particular, can you say you're "listening" to 4'33"?

>Steve Schwartz, just trying to help

I think I need it.

Dave Runnion