From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:56:19 +0000
   Johann Sebastian Bach(1685-1750)
   Organ Works on Silbermann Organs

Third Part of the Clavier-Bung:
Prelude in E major, BWV 552/1
Chorale Settings BWV 669-671
BWV 675-676
BWV 678
BWV 680
BWV 682
BWV 684
BWV 686
BWV 688
Fugue in E major, BWV 552/2
Chorale Settings BWV 716-717

Berlin Classics 0093622BC
Recorded August 1970
Issued 1997
Silbermann Organ of Freiberg Cathedral(1714)
Christoph Albrecht, Organ
TT 71:19

There's much more to Bach's German Mass than the program provided by
Christoph Albrecht such as 21 chorale preludes as opposed to the eleven
given by Albrecht.  Also, BWV 716 and 717 are not part of the German Mass.
The liner notes provide no clue as to the reasons for this particular
program, so I'll just go with the flow although there are certainly
some disconnects when chunks of music are left out.

 From my perspective, the Berlin Classics "Bach/Silbermann Organ" series
has been very successful.  The artists utilized have with little exception
been of the first rank, but it's the Silbermann organs which are the stars
of the series.  I find them to have a sweet tone which is distinctive as
well as a wealth of attractive registrations.  Of course, even a Silbermann
organ needs an excellent performer who understands the instrument and
engineers who know how to get the best sound from the organ.

Concerning the sound quality, it could be better.  There are piercing
sounds sometimes from the upper voices which are not pleasant at all.
However, appropriate audio adjustments including a lowering of volume
greatly minimize the problem.

With sound matters out of the way, I can endorse the Albrecht performances.
The German/Organ Mass is one of Bach's most inspired and uplifting body of
works.  Any performance which fully brings out these two qualities wins my
affections, and Albrecht delivers the goods.

His style is on the severe side like Suzuki on BIS, but with a softer tone.
Albrecht kicks off the proceedings with a majestic and poetic Prelude which
bodes well for the rest of the disc.  His BWV 678 and 686 are among the
most inspiring performances on record.  There are a couple of pieces where
I feel Albrecht loses a good sense of balance among the voices, but those
times are infrequent.

Concerning the competition, Albrecht holds up well but usually has to take
a back-seat to the Suzuki performances which have a strength that neither
Albrecht nor anyone else comes close to reaching.  Considering the Suzuki
issue, the incomplete nature of Albrecht's program, and the less than
excellent sound, I can't strongly recommend the recording.  However, it's
certainly an enjoyable set of performances which would tend to particularly
appeal to those who like 'Severe Bach'.

Don Satz