From:
"Barry L. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 00:45:46 -0400
The Composers Concordance will present the first concert of its 2001-2002
season on Friday, November 16, 2001 at Christ & St.  Stephen's Church, 120
W.  69 St., NYC, 8PM.

We will begin this concert with an unusual work for solo violin by the
Russian experimental composer Mark Belodubrovsky.  Mr.  Belodubrovsky,
the organizer of the acclaimed festival of contemporary music in Bryansk,
Russia, is conversant with many contemporary trends and here he offers a
work, Four Poems, inspired by the poetry of German poet J.  Eichendorf.
This piece, which will also include text to be recited, sounds practically
electronic in its use of bowing behind the bridge and extended sonorities.
It will be performed by new music virtuoso Curtis Macomber.

The Composers Concordance is honored to present a WORLD PREMIERE of a
new piece, Concerto Piccolino, by Milton Babbitt for vibraphone solo.  As
ever, Mr.  Babbitt's music presents a special challenge to any performer.
Vibraphonist Peter Jarvis will show all his talents in rendering this new
piece.

Jean Luc Darbellay is a Swiss composer who is well-known throughout Europe.
We will be presenting his Spectra, a work originally designed for "natural"
horn.  The "natural" horn, which has no valves, is an earlier version of
the modern instrument.  Gregory Evans, a new music regular, will be
adapting it for the contemporary instrument.  The piece features, logically
enough, sonorities related to just intonation, the tuning of the "natural"
horn.

Our two Meet the Composer recipients are Daniel Godfrey and Carson Cooman.
They will both be interviewed by actress Linda Past.  Daniel Godfrey is
quite an exceptional composer, since he is somehow able to take traditional
tonal elements, in our "regular" tuning system, and come up with something
fresh.  His work is simultaneously conservative and radical, and it shows
that traditional tonal music is still possible if done carefully in our
jaded age.  We are featuring his Serenata Ariosa, a trio for clarinet,
viola and piano.  It will be performed by Lone Madsen, clarinet, Olivia
Koppell, viola, and Judith Olson, piano.

Carson Cooman is a gifted composer and tireless advocate of contemporary
music through his worldwide organ performances.  Recently he has been
receiving some of the recognition he deserves.  We are offering his Sonata
for Violin and Piano, a recent piece inspired by Appalachian folk songs.
The first movement unfolds this nostalgic material, and the second, faster,
movement develops it.  Virtuoso Curtis Macomber will be performing this
work, with Judith Olson at the piano.

Lone Madsen, clarinetist, will perform Joyce Ellen Ornstein's Three Pieces
for Clarinet, an attractively lyrical piece in an early serialist style,
and acclaimed guitarist William Anderson will render Meyer Kupferman's
Exordium with piano accompaniment by Joan Forsyth.  Kupferman is noted for
his extensive works for guitar, several with orchestra, and this piece
reflects the talents of a composer intimately familiar with that medium.

For our finale, we will present the energetic and varied Brass Quintet by
William Mayer.  This piece, also featured on Mayer's recent CRI recording,
shows Mayer at his best:  his humor, his solid harmonic writing and the
lyrical variety which is his hallmark.  This landmark piece in this native
New Yorker's output will be performed by the Manhattan Brass Quintet.

Tickets are $12, $7 students, seniors, TDF vouchers are accepted.  For
further information phone 212-564-4899.

"Barry L. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>